Today, the news media is reporting that defense counsel for Casey Anthony (Prof. Andrea Lyon, Jose Baez) have filed a motion with the court challenging the State of Florida’s decision to seek the death penalty.
I am proactiving providing my response to the questions that I have received already and assumedly will continue to receive regarding this issue.
First, I am not acting as counsel for Ms. Anthony any longer and I’m not privy to the decision-making process of her defense team.
Second, the legal focus of the motion is upon “aggravating circumstances” as they are defined here in Florida. For the legal details on aggravating circumstances as well as mitigating factors under Florida law, please read my earlier articles here on the blog:
1. Discussion of Aggravating Circumstances
2. Discussion of Mitigating Factors
3. Series entitled “Filicide is Different”
For my prior posts on this blog regarding the Casey Anthony case, please review:
1. When I was on Nancy Grace last week….
2. Another lesson from the Casey Anthony case….
3. Five questions to ask yourself about the Casey Anthony case….