More on Florida Death Row Than Any Other State Except California
According to new research compilations by the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Statistics, we know that Florida remains number two in the country for the number of people setting on its Death Row.
Only California has more Death Row residents. Source: Bureau of Justice Statistics May 2017.
- 33 states and the BOP held 2,881 inmates under sentence of death, 61 fewer than at year-end 2014. This was the fifteenth consecutive year in which the number of inmates under sentence of death decreased.
- Fourteen states and BOP received 49 inmates under sentence of death.
- Six states executed 28 inmates.
- Twenty-one states removed 82 inmates from under sentence of death by means other than execution.
- Overall, 20 states held fewer inmates under sentence of death than a year earlier, 5 states and BOP held more inmates, and 9 held the same number.
- The largest decline in inmates under sentence of death occurred in Texas (down 17), followed by Georgia (down 8), and Missouri (down 7).